Monday, May 30, 2011

And That, Dear Children, Is How A Blog Is Born

One day I decided to write down everything I thought of when it came to me. I filled up close to 18 pages in a notebook and, just for kicks, turned it in to my English teacher. Thankfully, there were few grammar mistakes to be found, rather a new way to open up my brain and explore whatever it was that I was experiencing at that point in time. I know it may sound like the beginning of every cheesy teen movie out there, but this actually happened and I am not a famous person from Hollywood. It's little ol' me from Southeast Wisconsin and I'm not afraid to say what I feel.

As my father charmingly put it, I could "sell ice to an Eskimo or light-bulbs to the Amish".
I guess I'm not the only one.

Gab is both a gift and a curse. Gift: I could become a lawyer and make billions of dollars telling people they're stupid and their ideas make zero sense. Curse: I don't always say the right thing at the right time. It's really quite a pain but at least I can respond quickly. I actually went to an interview last week and this guy (who was a lawyer) was fighting me on every point I made.

Interviewer: "Should businesses be ethically responsible for their communities?"

I mean really, what the heck kind of a question is that? Of course there are going to be multiple viewpoints. Just because I argue one doesn't mean I'm incompetent or that I have the wrong approach. Good gab in this situation: I can talk around questions.

Me:"That's a good question. You know, my dad's business does this and such in the community..."

Talking around questions and making your own points shows that you have a mind of your own. On the other hand, too much can be bad gab, i.e. you make yourself look like a complete fool.

Me: "Depending on the business in question, there could be several approaches."

And then, of course, I had to bring in econ terminology and negative externalities caused by pollution and all that fun stuff.
Just took the AP exam last month. Please excuse the econ terminology. 

I really only started getting flustered when he brought up the fact that whatever I was answering was not, in fact, what he had asked. But, in the end, he told me I did very well and that I could, in fact, become a lawyer one day. It may have influenced my choice of major a tiny bit, but then again, I could always talk the ass off a donkey.

^^ Can that even be done, technically? An ass is a donkey..question..

No comments:

Post a Comment